'Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous deeds among all peoples.' - Psalm 96:3

Monday, August 15, 2011

A Blog by any Other Name

"Latitude 41? What the---?"

Originally, this blog's namesake was merely the geographic south coordinate of Team Chile's outreach location- Alerce. Actually, to be more precise, Alerce is located at 41˚ 28' South, 72˚ 56' West. Of course, this isn't to be confused with 41˚ North, which, at the same longitude, would put you somewhere around Haddam, Connecticut, and as great as I'm sure Haddam is, let's be honest with ourselves, people- Chile sounds way more exciting than Connecticut.

But what has been on my mind since I named this fledgling of a blog is whether or not its name holds any meaning for me personally or any helpful hints to keep in mind during these next nine months of service. 

Well, for starters, I realized that I didn't name this blog some variant of 'Alerce' or 'Chile' because one thing I'm sure of is that as far as this trip is concerned, I'm not sure of anything. I have no clue yet if I will get along with my group (no offense, guys), no clue if this is even what God is calling me to do, or if I will come back from Chile having learned and grown the way God intended, or- well, I think you get the idea. Anyway, I think the title 'Latitude 41' lends itself to a certain air of the unknown, because it gives me a feeling of remoteness, farther from my admittedly large comfort zone than I have ever been before now. It's much different from using a location's proper name- I think doing so brings with it feelings of familiarity, direction, and certainty; none of which I posses in relation to this trip as of yet. 

But at the same time, this air of mystery captures my sense of curiosity and adventure; I very much want to step out of the metaphorical boat and walk across deeper waters, towards my goal of a more meaningful relationship with Christ. Ironically, Latitude 41 South is about 98% occupied by seas and oceans. 

Call me Peter, but this time instead of sinking for fear of the wind and waves, I want to stand confidently on tumultuous waters, never letting anything distract me from my Savior's gaze and outstretched hand.

--God, give me strength to push all my doubts aside. Calm my thoughts.
_______________________________________
But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
"Come," Jesus said.
--Matthew 14:27-29 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Clay, what a wonderful opportunity you have, that God has placed in your path! As I read your blog thoughts, it is evident that you want to follow Christ's leading and purpose for your life. Walk in the path that is set before you, trusting the goodness of the Lord. Keep placing one foot ahead of you at a time, and if it is on the waters, focus on your loving saviour and friend, Jesus! We are proud of you, Clay!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete